Monday, December 21, 2009

Computer Envy

I work for a large corporation on a special project unrelated to most of the other business that goes on here in Spain. So I deal with the Spanish subsidiary sometimes when I need things like money, computers, cheque gourmets, etc. The other day I ordered a new computer. I received an email yesterday stating that my computer had arrived, but that there was a problem and it was being held in storage until the issue was resolved.

“A problem?” I asked.

“Yes, the computer has an issue”

“Is it defective?”

“No, it does not conform to the corporate standard”

“Hmm… like the wrong brand?”

“No. The screen is too big, the hard drive is too large and it has too much memory”

“I don’t understand, the purchase order was approved by my VP”

“That doesn’t matter. It does not conform to the corporate standards for the Spanish subsidiary”

“Why do you care?”

“If your co-workers saw your computer they would be jealous and want to be treated the same”

My boss ended having to yell some common sense into the guy (it just a poor IT drone). A couple days later this sticker arrived in the mail. I love my boss.




2 comments:

Jeremy Holland said...

Thanks for the insightful comment on my blog. Just found your and enjoying it a lot. I put a link on my page. But seriously, Barça? Sevilla hasta la muerte, mi alma!

santcugat said...

Thanks!

Last week my son decided to tell everyone in his class that he is not for Barca. He has an unfortunate contrariness (genetic from both his parents I suppose) that probably will cause problems for him here.