Monday, November 1, 2010

Catalan time-keeping

One of the slightly bizarre features of Catalan is the archaic time keeping protocol. We always have to laugh when we’re listening to the radio and the announcer says “four minutes to three quarters to four” instead of 3:41.

So yesterday we waiting for a long time at the doctor’s office, and I mention to an older gentleman that we’ve been waiting since ten-to-five. He turns around to his wife and translates in Catalan for her benefit “they been waiting since five minutes past three quarters to five!”

Only a quick kick in the shins stopped me from cracking up.

2 comments:

Su-Lin said...

:D your post has kicked off a huge conversation about time with my catalan husband!

Tres quarts i mig de cinc... that's one of my husband's favourites! so uh... 7.5 minutes to 5.

santcugat said...

I hadn't heard of the "i mig" option. That's just messed up...