Monday, December 3, 2012

What do you mean, volunteer?

As part of organizing some parent/children activities for the school we asked for parents to volunteer to help out the kids by reading stories etc. I wasn’t expecting much, but one of the answers I got from the parents were pretty shocking:

“You mean you want me to work for free for the school? Do you think I’m an idiot?”

I tried pointing out that his own kids would benefit from this and it would give him a chance to show a positive parenting role model for this kids, but then I thought maybe he wouldn’t be such a good role model after all so I didn’t ask again…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, sad. Private school? In my daughter's (public) primary school, a group of parents have set up a Friday story time in the library. I
read a couple of (easy) stories in English one day. There is a spirit of what can we do to help in difficult times.